Thursday, August 26, 2010

How long have we waited for this?

Well we knew eventually it would come, but I was starting to get a little scared it wouldn't be in my lifetime!  What am I talking about?  Well obviously, a Halloween themed RPG.  Thats right ghouls, the fine folks over at Double Fine have been working on a little treat for us thats all set to debut on October 31st on Xbox360 Arcade!! (Which I find a little weird since arcade games usually come out on Wednesdays, but who's complaining!)  In case you don't follow video games I think it is of importance to note that the founder of Double Fine is the one and only Tim Schafer!  Tim did most of the writing duties for two of my favorite games in the entire universe, The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge.  Mr. Schafer also went on to work on such classics as: Full Throttle, Grim Fandango (go play this one now, I demand you!), Psychonauts, and Brutal Legend.  Yes all of those legendary games have been helped along by the hands of Tim Schafer and hopefully this will be another one of those legendary games.  In other words I'm hoping now we all have a reason to stay home on our favorite night of the year and fire up those Xbox 360s.  Hopefully you'll be burned out from playing Halo: Reach enough to actually play something else by then!  Here is the cover art (yes, even arcade games have cover art) and some screenshots for you.
Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension
Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension
Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension
Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension
Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
 Here's the lowdown on the game as seen on the Double Fine website;
             Explore, Collect, Battle!                         
Play as Wren or Reynold, in this action-adventure role-playing game that unfolds on Halloween night across seemingly peaceful suburban neighborhoods, a mysterious village carnival and a monster-infested shopping mall.
Go door-to-door collecting candy, points, cards, battle stamps and quest assignments to prepare for combat. Use your wit, bravery and home-made costumes with superpowers to rid the neighborhood of creepy monsters and SAVE HALLOWEEN!

 Sounds like absolute video game gold to me!  Come Halloween I'm sure Double Fine will have us all sitting in front of our t.v. screens playing this instead of watching the same old lame Halloween movies right? (Just kidding, I would never talk that way about our most beloved seasonal movies, but I'm sure we will be bumping one or two of them off the list to make room for this game)  Below you can watch the trailer for the game and a behind the scenes video of Mr. Schafer and Tasha Harris, the games creator.  Also I can't say much more right now, but if all goes as planned (and this is not for sure, just something I'm working on) then hopefully this isn't the last you've heard from myself and Double Fine this Halloween season.  Keep your eyes tuned to HalloweenOverkill and hopefully I'll have some more treats and not just some tricks coming your way!  Although maybe I could turn some tricks to get us some more treats here at HalloweenOverkill.  Hey honey, I have an idea!!!!!! haha

This behind the scenes video was shown on 1up.com and can also be seen here.  By the way this might be the last time I remind you ghouls but we still need like 2 more fans to enter the horror draft.  Click here and sign up please!

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

That looks way cool!
Dreaded Dreams
Petunia Scareum

Jeremy [Retro] said...

awesome.....

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Soooooo looking forward to this. The Monkey Island games were my favs!!

Cheers!